Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Compost Bin arrives!


Great excitement this week with the arrival of the new compost bin! I noticed the leaflet offering these splendid receptacles at a relatively knock down price when lurking around the entrance to the Planning department at Babergh, and it was delivered to my door bright and shiny on Tuesday.

I have had several attempts at composting over the years but none have been particularly successful. Reading the ‘recipe book’ that comes with the bin I can see that I have not been putting enough paper and ‘brown matter’ into the mix, which has resulted in sludge rather than the ‘rich crumbly’ mixture that one is supposed to get. Additionally, compost heaps that have been too open to the elements have lead to rodent issues, so I am hoping that this new dalek shaped monster can’t be gnawed through! We shall see. It will be useful to have some nutritious and free compost to put onto the flowerbeds. I do a very good line in leafmould already, but this, I understand, is of limited nutritional value and should not be used too widely.

If anyone is interested in these bins details are available from Babergh. There are several sizes and accessories such as small bins for the kitchen to collect vegetable peelings etc. I think that the bins are limited to three per household.