Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Monday, September 24, 2007

Holiday reading!


Well Nick and I have just returned from a two week trip to Virginia. I am still sorting out the photos but hope to post a few on the blog with some thoughts within the next few days.

On our return I received a very nice card from Margaret Shannon telling me that the total raised for Great Waldingfield Church by her heroic sleep-in with bats was £626.50p. (see previous post 'Sleeping with bats'.)

Margaret's exploits came to mind during my holiday since I spent some of the time reading a 'good bad book' called The Historian, which is an up to date version of the Dracula Story. Dracula of course spent much of his time disguised as a bat which has given the species something of a bad name.

They don't deserve this bad reputation! They rarely if ever fly into your hair apparently. I have only had one really close encounter with a bat. A chap on a course that I went on some years ago worked as some sort of conservation officer in the real world and had a tiny injured pipistrelle bat that he was caring for in his room!
It was very sweet, with tiny hands and whiskers. About 4 centimeters long, pipistrelles according to the BBC website, don't drink the blood of the unwary, but they can eat up to 3000 insects in a night!