Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A message from Tim Yeo.

I set out below the text of a message to South Suffolk Conservative Association from Tim Yeo, the MP for South Suffolk with regard to his expenses.

I hope that this will reassure people who have been concerned that our Member of Parliament might be among those who have abused the rules.

Tim writes:-

'In view of the entirely understandable public outcry about MPs expenses I thought it might help you to answer the questions which you are inevitably being asked if I confirmed my own position as far as expense claims are concerned.

I have personally examined all the claims I have made in the last four years. I am absolutely certain that every single one complies not only with both the letter and the spirit of the House of Commons Fees Office Rules but also with the more stringent standards rightly required by David Cameron for Conservative MPs.

For clarification I confirm that in respect of the second homes allowance my claims relate exclusively to mortgage interest, council tax, service charges levied by the managing agents, and utility bills. I have never claimed for food, gardening, television sets, building works or any of the more exotic items chosen by some MPs.

Furthermore I have never "flipped" the properties on which I claim these expenses. When I was first elected in 1983 I declared that my main residence was in Suffolk and this has remained the case throughout except for the period when I was a Minister when the rules then in force required me to deem my main residence to be in London.

This means throughout the four year period for which claims are now being examined I have only made claims in respect of my London flat. I therefore confirm that as this is my second home for Parliamentary purposes I do NOT deem it to be my main home for Capital Gains Tax purposes.

Please feel free to share to forward this email, or to share its contents, to anyone who asks about this subject. I deplore the fact that some MPs, including regrettably a few Conservatives, have clearly abused the system and the trust that has been placed in them. In doing so they have brought Parliament into disrepute and cast aspersions on the integrity of the majority of MPs on all sides whom I believe to be conscientious and honest.'