Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hawks in London


I am spending a couple of days in London this week doing some research for my next talk about Russia which I will be making in the summer at UEA and again at Gainsborough’s House in October.

Walking through St Paul’s Churchyard this morning I was very surprised to be confronted by a couple of Harris Hawks. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me and so have had to ‘google’ for a picture of one of these beautiful birds.

The hawks, one older male and a young female, were on pigeon scaring duty. Apparently they really do act as a deterrent against what many Londoners regard as rats in the sky. Their handlers are anxious to prevent them from actually attacking the pigeons however. Apparently the contents of a London pigeon’s gut does a hawk no good at all, and innocent passers-by do not much appreciate the spectacle of a kill!