Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spring events


It is really great that the weather is getting warmer and that once again Saturday mornings are populated with events around the Ward.
Yesterday morning I went to two fundraising events: an auction in Chilton Church and a Table Sale at Acton.
The auction was the first event to be formed by the newly created Friends of Chilton Church and was a success. Over £200 was raised from the sale of a good many interesting ‘unwanteds’. I managed to pick up an attractive black and white religious plaque which comes from some Slavic country, but I have to say I am not sure which. I also collected a nice wallet, an old leather bound copy of Omar Khayam and a couple of potential raffle prizes for use at future events. Recycling is a wonderful thing.
Chilton Church is officially redundant and is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, but its own trustees need to raise money for its upkeep. It is a truly beautiful place with some outstanding monuments and an interesting history. If you want to get involved with securing its future, and also meet some new people by joining the Friends, contact me and I will put you in touch with the right person.
Five services are held at the Church during the year, and a concert is planned for early June. The next service is on April 18th at 3 p.m.
The auction was so absorbing that I only had a short amount of time left to visit Acton. I did manage to pick up some more books to read over the summer although I think I missed most of the bargains.
Acton Village Hall is one of the many organisations in the District that now have to find additional money to pay a proportion of their business rates. I would therefore urge people to support the Hall Committee’s fundraising events.