Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Archery at Acton Fete



As usual Acton Fete was well organised and fun, and I think that this year there were even more activities at which one could make a complete fool of oneself!
For a nanosecond I was in the lead at the Woodland BATS stall, where the idea was to try to roll balls through tiny holes to win a tenner. Unfortunately Nick, my husband, immediately achieved the same score, and when we returned half an hour or so later some brawny youth was way out in front.
The real catastrophe came at the Archery however. I have always wanted to have a go at this. The sport brings to mind elegant Victorian ladies standing with straight backs, observed by gentlemen in boaters and striped blazers. The set up in Acton was very professional, with the targets lined up in a row and a couple of experts to help with technique.
I seemed to have quite a lot of difficulty hitting the target at all however. It was only later that Nick told me that I had been trying to shoot with a left handed rather than a right handed bow. Since I am right handed I think that I was lucky to hit the target at all! Nick, who is pictured trying his hand above, did rather better since he had not inadvertently handicapped himself.