Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Sunday, April 10, 2011

No to AV!

 I am really against the Alternative Vote.  The idea of not really understanding what you are voting for, apart from being very frustrating,   is completely undemocratic in my view.

Besides,  I actually don't much like the ideology of ANY of the parties other than my own, and having to rank them in order of pretty bad to really awful strikes me as quite difficult.

There is no doubt in my mind that the system will lead to weak government, the election of mediocre candidates,  and a disproportionate advantage for the smaller parties.

As some of you know I have been out on the stump in the Ward this week, trying to speak to as many postal voters as possible before they receive their ballot papers at the beginning of next week.

I am pleased to say that so far I have only met one or two people who have any enthusiasm at all for this nonsense of a system. 

For an amusing take on the issue you should take a look at

http://playpolitical.typepad.com

I don't think the link will work from this site, but google 'play political', go to the homepage, and then find the page for today, April 10th 2011 to view the video.

Rick Mayall stars as Alan B'stard

NO to AV Campaign Director, Matthew Elliott observes:
“This kind of shoddy behaviour is exactly the kind of thing we might see under AV. We would have politicians doing backroom deals and not delivering on their promises just so they could cling to power. This is why we should protect our democracy and keep One Person, One Vote.”