Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Sunday, May 5, 2013

After the poll


It is wonderful to be able to do some normal things once again!

Living through a political campaign, if you are trying to do the job properly, is like operating in a strange parallel universe.  Doorsteps, letterboxes, envelopes, maps, lists, all take on a significance that they normally never have.   Other, far more important things cease to matter for a few weeks. 

The process is like a strange quest in which you never quite meet the dragon, but glimpse him in passing, flashing down country lanes, or on the front of leaflets that people insist on showing you. When I finally met my chief opponent, at a very early hour in Bildeston on polling day, it was odd to meet a stranger who I felt I had already got to know quite well.  Robert, and his numerous supporters, proved on closer inspection to be reasonable people, and I have little to complain about with regard to the way in which they campaigned.

Both sides worked very hard to get our respective messages across.  Our effectiveness in this can be measured by the relatively high turnout at the election of 42%.  This is a good deal higher than that seen across the county which I think was closer to 35%.   Voter apathy is a sad thing, and taken to extremes can be a dangerous one.

So what now?  After a bit of a rest this weekend I shall be setting off for Ipswich on Tuesday morning for a meeting with those Conservative councillors who have been elected.  I hope to sign my Acceptance of Office, and then I shall be sorting out matters such as IT support, passes and training schedules.  I shall also be contacting parish councils across the Division, unless they get to me first.

 I shall also be responding to the two residents of Cosford who have already contacted me about pressing issues, both of which are really District, rather than County Council matters!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment