Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Friday, September 26, 2014

Happiness in South Suffolk...a spot check.



Well it’s official!  Babergh has the happiest residents in the United Kingdom.

According to a survey published yesterday by National Statistics, not only is Suffolk the place in the East of England where people were most ‘satisfied’ with their lot in 2013/14, but the South Suffolk area scored 8.2 for the happiness of its residents….the highest in the country.

As I had a relatively quiet day yesterday I decided that I would try to test this out.  I called in to the South Suffolk Conservative Association offices to see how happy the Agent, Peter Burgoyne and the lovely Fenella were feeling. Unfortunately, they were both a little glum since they were having problems finding a venue for our forthcoming dinner with Scottish Secretary Michael Forsyth.  Additionally, Peter was somewhat unimpressed, as indeed am I, by the fact that Babergh has decided that 5 30 p.m. on a Friday afternoon (today) is a good time to have a full council meeting.  Discouraged somewhat I left and drove home.

Here I found my husband Nick decidedly unhappy.  Contractors had just, without warning, closed the road and turned off the electricity supply to re-furbish the electrical wiring along Newmans Green.  No power is expected until 4 p.m. at the earliest.  Rendle the Lurcher was not very happy either, since he doesn’t like the noises that the burglar alarm makes when the power is down, and is even less happy that the burglar alarm has a tendency to go off when the battery runs flat.  He spent most of yesterday lurking down the garden with a very hang dog expression.

Then I turned to the latest edition of the Suffolk Free Press, and what do I find?  Nothing but tales of local misery, and complaints about the council. Until then I had been feeling pretty chipper, quite looking forward to a few hours when, in the absence of electricity and an internet connection,  I did not have to check my e mails.  Having dipped into the local newspaper however, I do wonder where all these happy South Suffolk people are hiding!


No comments:

Post a Comment