Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Sunday, November 2, 2014

LGA Finance workshop


Conference Centre at Scarman House

I spent Thursday and Friday of last week at Warwick University Conference Centre attending a workshop for council finance portfolio holders run by the Local Government Association.

This might seem a rather dull way of spending time, but it was in fact a stimulating and interesting couple of days.  I was rather thrown into my new role back in May, having only been on the County Council for a year, and there have been times when I have been beset with serious doubts about what I am supposed to be doing.  I do have a background in finance, having worked as an analyst advising public companies and investors for 20 years or so in the City, but the world of Local Government finance is very different.   From the moment you find out that income in a council’s budget is treated as a negative number you realise that you are in a totally different world.

The negative income question (along with a lot of other mysteries) was dealt with by the facilitators of the event with clarity and wit, and we also heard from a number of experienced councillors who have been in their finance roles for some years.  I am not sure if I am very much clearer about what I ‘should’ be doing, since clearly they all take an individual approach, but I now have the confidence that I can pretty well carry on in my own particular way.

The political balance of the delegates was mixed, with 5 Conservatives, 5 Labour and a solitary Liberal Democrat from South Lakeland District Council.  It was interesting to exchange views and ideas with them.  It was also fun on the Friday morning because the Labour party people present were all glued to their mobiles watching as the results and turnout numbers gradually emerged from the counts for the South Yorkshire election for Police and Crime Commissioner.  By the time the morning was over it was clear that their candidate had won, so they all went home in a cheerful state.

I too was happy to be on my way back to Suffolk, although this didn’t last long since the traffic on the way home was terrible!

No comments:

Post a Comment