Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Sunday, September 11, 2016

September harvest!

My patch.
Last year, as an antidote to council activities,  I decided to have a go at growing a few vegetables and I have been astonished at the results!

I decided to contain my efforts by buying a raised bed, which somehow made the whole idea less daunting.  I could persuade myself that this was little more than a large window box!  I also told myself that I should not get too downhearted about failure.  I had little clue about what I was doing but no doubt would learn from my mistakes.

I sowed three crops in a space that is 4 feet by 6.  Almost half of the bed is taken up by some french beans. I actually prefer these to runner beans. I think they are more versatile since they can be eaten hot or cold.  They also don't need support in theory, but the plants are a bit floppy.  I am not sure what to do about this and any suggestions would be very welcome.  They have cropped well though giving us enough beans for several meals, and really do taste better than the shop bought ones.

I have also grown some rainbow chard, which can be eaten raw or cooked like spinach. The taste is a bit soapy when raw, but it mixes in well with other leaves, and the plants keep on giving more,

Finally I have some beetroot coming on.  At present results are a bit patchy, with some plants clearly forming a good root but others still looking a bit skinny. I do love beetroot however, and  I am looking forward to enjoying some borscht later in the year, and also mixing the beets up with horseradish for eating with roast beef and smoked fish, just like my granny used to do!

I am thinking of getting another bed in order to try some carrots and strawberries next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment