Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

To blog on or not to blog on?




On January 30th this blog passed an important milestone.   Exactly 10 years ago on that day I wrote the first post, and have been writing ever since.  Over the 10 years there have been 1363 articles on a diverse range of subjects.  The main thrust has been local government oriented (rubbish collection around the world has loomed fairly large) but I have also tried to promote local organisations in which I have an interest, and from time to time, indulged myself by writing the odd theatre review , comment on a book I have enjoyed, or a comment about Russian matters.

When I started the blog I was gearing up to stand for Babergh District Council in the elections in May 2007, and, aware that social media was becoming an essential tool for even the most lowly politician, I decided to take the plunge.

The audience has not been enormous but I think I have reached many people in the communities that I have served both in Waldingfield Ward and also in Cosford Division.  Interest from overseas has also been quite significant which I do find interesting.  I wonder what they make of this slice of life from South Suffolk?

So what next?  As is now generally known I will not be standing again for the County Council in May this year.  I may elaborate on my reasons once the elections have passed, provided I am still writing the blog.  And this is the point.   Should I continue?  Although I will still be involved in local government through membership of Sudbury Town Council for at least a couple of years, are people really interested to read my maunderings?  Would it just be an act of vanity to blog on ?

I had decided that the answer to the last question was yes and had thought that shortly I would metaphorically hang up my pen.   However, on Saturday I went into Sudbury and met two people (in Waitrose of course) who told me how much they enjoy reading the blog and then, yesterday, spoke to a resident of Sudbury North who was keen to be included on the ‘alert list’.  Now I am in a quandary.   
I shall have to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment