Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Prayers at St Mary's Chilton.


Had I known about the Rogation service at St. Mary’s Church, Chilton I would have attended it before now. I have for some time been rather curious about the Church, which I have seen while taking the dog out on paths that lead to lovely moated Chilton Hall. St. Mary’s which is managed by the Redundant Churches Fund now only holds three services a year, at Rogationtide, Harvest and Christmas, and I was alerted to today’s event due to receiving a copy of Chilton’s Parish News as part of my new job!

The church, which stands rather poignantly in its well-tended churchyard, on the cusp of industrial estate and open countryside is largely 15th Century, although the brick tower is probably later. A highlight is the chantry chapel which has three fine monuments to members of the Crane family, the earliest dating from 1491 and the latest 1626. There is no electricity, and the church retains the timeless atmosphere of a true country parish church. The service, using the Book of Common Prayer, was movingly simple and cheering.

Rogation Sunday is the day in the Church year when one is told in the Gospel ‘ask and it will be given to you’, and so is traditionally a day for praying for something one wants, be it rain on the crops or deliverance from catastrophe. I am really pleased therefore that this event was the first that I have attended since my election to the council. I would like to say ‘as a District Councillor’, but I have not yet signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office. I expect to be doing this next week when I attend some training seminars in Hadleigh, and also my first Council Meeting.