Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Babergh opposes quarry for second time


I am happy to report that Babergh’s Development Committee once again voted unanimously this morning to oppose the application by Bretts to open a quarry, extract gravel, and undertake other related works at Chilton. This was the second application from the company. However it was in all respects identical to the first, apart from the fact that it is now proposed to build a roundabout on the A134 at the entrance to the site, presumably in order to address road safety concerns.
Speaking against the application as Ward member I made three points.

Firstly I highlighted the wide ranging environmental damage that will be caused by the large number of lorry movements generated by the quarry. I made particular reference to Sudbury town centre, which could be subject to 26 additional movements a day (at worst), implying yet more nuisance of all sorts from juggernaughts rumbling through the mediaeval heart of the town.

Secondly I made the point that the new proposed roundabout may improve safety at the entrance to the site but will do nothing to help road safety elsewhere on the lethal bends and narrows of the A134.

Finally I talked about the implications of building a permanent structure such as a roundabout to serve what is supposed to be a temporary quarry. The existence of the roundabout in my view would make it highly likely that industrial activities would continue on the site after the 10 years life of the quarry is up. This is a use of the land that, at present at least, is certainly not envisaged in the Babergh Local Plan!

I have no idea how the debate developed, since, as I was actually sitting as a member of the Committee as a substitute, I was obliged to leave the meeting having had my say. The reason for this is that I was ‘predetermined’, having already made up my mind what I thought about the issue ahead of the event. I was therefore unable to vote, and had to leave in case my presence infected other members of the Committee! However, I am aware that even those councillors who appeared minded at the beginning of the session to believe that the roundabout answered Babergh’s previously expressed concerns changed their minds during the course of the debate.

So what comes next? Best information is that the matter will be determined by the County Council at their Development Committee Meeting on 23rd October, although this may be postponed.

Watch the blog for further developments.