Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Sunday, September 14, 2008

A busy weekend


















It is a good thing that the weather has improved because this weekend is proving to be rather action packed. Great Waldingfield Horticultural Show took place yesterday afternoon and yesterday evening there was a Spanish Evening in aid of the Conservatives in Little Waldingfield (with live music and evocative continual slide projection of Spanish ladies, bulls, guitars etc.) This afternoon it is Harvest Festival at Chilton Church (at 3 p.m.), one of the three services a year held at this venue.
Thanks to temporary flooring it was possible to hold the Horticultural Show in the Village Hall. The hard working Secretary of the show, John Hughes, is pictured above with Sheila Dunnett, who carried off one or two of the trophies!
Despite difficult growing conditions this year there was a good range of entries. As usual there were some beautiful flower arrangements, plus a giant prize marrow and some impressive pumpkins. Also, I was interested to see (and to be allowed to taste) some excellent country wines. Having had some small success creating six bottles of a very passable tangerine wine in the early 1970’s I have long harboured some enthusiasm for having another go, so was very pleased to make the acquaintance of Alan Awscott of the Acton Wine Circle, who may be able to point me in the right direction.
I was very honoured to be asked to present the trophies. This really took me back to my childhood in Warwickshire in the 1950’s, where the annual flower show was quite an event.
A large marquee was erected in the orchard of one of the larger houses in the village street, there was a local band, a dog show and a children’s fancy dress competition, and a local notable was imported to ‘do the honours’. On one occasion I remember that the prize-giver was the author Ursula Bloom (who remembers her now!), and on another the Chief Guide. My mother, who was a Councillor on Stratford upon Avon RDC, probably performed the duty too, but I can’t say I really remember this. There was a large army camp nearby, and there seemed to be a lot of people milling around in uniform! The show must have been held at about this time of the year because I remember the apples falling onto the roof of the tent, and the danger of wasps to the unwary! I have to say I never thought that it would be me giving the prizes.
With everything in life changing so rapidly it was good to be involved with an event that maintains continuity with village life from the past. I am determined to try to enter something myself next year since it is vital that the tradition is kept going!
Ursula Bloom.