Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Friday, January 16, 2009

Access to the Countryside


Some councillors at Babergh sit on a lot of ‘outside bodies’ in order to represent the Council’s interests. John Sayers for example, sits as the Council’s representative on the Trustee Board of Citizens Advice. As a new councillor I wasn’t considered for one of these posts after the election, but now I do have an additional role! I am one of two District Councillor representatives on the Suffolk Local Access Forum and I attended my first meeting in Kesgrave yesterday evening.
The Forum advises the County Council on matters such as open access to common land and rights of way. It aims to improve and extend footpaths and bridle paths, and has a particular brief to look after ‘non motorised users’ of roads and pathways.
When I saw the role advertised I decided to go for the position because I am very keen on keeping rights of way open, and where possible creating new ones. The English countryside is such a great asset and I am pleased to say that many of the people on the Forum share my interest in conservation and protection of the rural environment.
The meeting was really interesting, ranging from consideration of exclusion orders to prevent dogs from disturbing Suffolk’s nesting stone curlews (pictured above) to the creation of a definitive map of footpaths in Ipswich.
The most dramatic item on the agenda concerned the Forum’s struggle with the Highways Agency in respect of the ‘dualling’ of the A11 near Thetford. The Agency in its wisdom is at present proposing a nine mile stretch of dual carriageway without one safe crossing for pedestrians or horses. This is despite the fact that several major footpaths cross the road. The Chairman of the Forum, with the support of representatives from Suffolk County Council and the British Horse Society, are meeting the Agency shortly to discuss the matter. If a negotiated solution cannot be achieved a formal objection will be lodged which could result in a costly and drawn out Public Enquiry and delay the construction of this important project.
Fascinating stuff! I have to admit that at present I have little but enthusiasm to offer the Forum. However, I do expect to learn quite a lot which should be of use when it comes to considering related issues here in South Suffolk.