Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Babergh and Mid Suffolk - a disappointing, if not unexpected, result.

Most people will know that I am disappointed that Babergh’s residents have voted against a full merger with Mid Suffolk District Council.  It is clear that the majority of people found the case for merger unconvincing.  I have to confess that I find it hard to understand why there is such an enthusiasm for sticking with the current, rather unsatisfactory,  status quo.

I'm sorry to say that many people in the District were mislead by ill-informed scare stories regarding Mid Suffolk’s financial strength, and also about the probability of car parking charges being introduced for short term stays in town centres were the merger to go ahead.

I can’t help feeling that Babergh has been denied a great opportunity, not just to save money, but to become a more streamlined, stronger, more effective entity.

We will still be continuing with full integration of officers under our new CEO, who held a very fruitful workshop on the subject last week.  However, as I think was made plain in the documentation that accompanied the poll, the savings that will be achieved by this will by no means fully compensate for the expected loss of our grant from the Government.  This means that we will inevitably now have to think about revisiting the level of charges for all services and, very regrettably, support for community groups may well be cut again.

When I heard the news I was at a planning training course at Mid Suffolk’s offices, and I felt that the Mid Suffolk members were also disappointed by the result.  I have got to know some of them quite well, and on the whole they are friendly and positive and they continue to look forward to closer co-operation with Babergh.*

In contrast to our political opponents, we wanted residents to have their say.  They have done so, and we must abide by their decision.

*I should tell you that I parked my car in a totally free car park, of which, contrary to received opinion,  there are several in Mid Suffolk.

No comments:

Post a Comment