Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Tomatoes, births, marriages and deaths.

I have spent this week having 'briefings' with different officers at the County Council trying to get to grips with what is rather a wide portfolio of interests.

One piece of good news in the Waste area is that on Thursday Mid Suffolk District Council gave the go ahead for the development of two large greenhouses close to the new Waste to Energy incinerator at Great Blakenham.  Heat from the plant will be used to grow tomatoes on 111 acres*.  The venture will create almost 250 jobs, and, I hope, mean that we will be able to source more tomatoes locally.

Local residents did voice concern however about light and flooding.  I understand that an assessment is to be undertaken with regard to flooding.  The light from the plant may be more difficult to deal with, and I have to say would have been of concern to me had I been on the planning committee.  I hope that something can be done to mitigate the impact of light pollution on those living nearby.

Elsewhere, I have been surprised at the range of activities for which I find myself responsible!  It seems that one of my 'babies' is the Registrar's Department and also the Coroner's Office!  I am told that, unlike Waste, where there can often be controversy,  these areas are not generally particularly troublesome.

During the course of the briefing I was given the following facts, which I thought may be of interest to readers of the site:-

In 2013/14 year to end March, some 6665 births were registered in Suffolk, slightly more than the number of deaths which came in at 6554.  2392 marriages, naming and civil ceremonies were carried out and we held citizenship ceremonies for 110 people.

As far as the coroner was concerned  2807 cases were reported to the department, and some 1284 post mortems were carried out.  331 inquests were held.  This is rather more activity than I would have expected.

*111 acres was quoted in the EADT, but this does seem a lot. Perhaps it includes the incinerator site too?

No comments:

Post a Comment