Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Last Meeting at Babergh

Council Leader Jennie Jenkins with Peter Burgoyne
On Tuesday evening I attended my last formal event at Babergh District Council.

When I became a county councillor two years ago I made it clear that I would not continue to serve on two councils.  I honestly believe that residents are best looked after if one concentrates on doing one job at a time.

It was decided, sadly, not to have a full council meeting, due to lack of business.  I was hoping to put a question at the meeting about the council's record on conserving biodiversity, but sadly the opportunity was lost.

The end of a four year council must be marked somehow.  This is particularly the case this time at Babergh since some 16 members, a very high number, are standing down.  Perhaps some are tired at the constant carping about politicians!  A few others of course will not be returning due to electoral disaster, but that was only briefly touched upon on Tuesday.

Instead of a full council meeting, it was decided to call a 'Chairman's Meeting', which is not held in public.  Prior to the meeting there was a social gathering in what used to be the very attractive canteen area, now sadly closed. There was also the inevitable photograph.  The event overall was very enjoyable, if somewhat sad.

On the whole I have enjoyed my period on Babergh, where I have been a councillor for the past 8 years,  and have found learning about the activities of a District Council very interesting and rewarding.  I particularly liked chairing the IT Task Group in the first four years of the council, and also valued the brief period that I had as Deputy Group Leader during the second.

I have made no secret of the fact that I have mixed feelings about the way that the District Council is developing now, but feel that any comments I might make on this should probably wait until after the forthcoming election!

Council Chairman James Long makes a point to Sue Carpendale, leader of the Liberal Democrat Gtoup.

No comments:

Post a Comment