Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Blue weekend (1)

Everything blue in the garden this weekend!
We are, not surprisingly, pleased about Conservative successes on Thursday.  We are particularly delighted that our new Member of Parliament, James Cartlidge, had such a stunning majority. We stayed up watching the results come in until about 4.30 a.m. and I was awake again just in time to hear Ed Balls's declaration.  This event will, I suspect, be regularly replayed like the Michael Portillo moment in 1997, but I doubt if the political world has seen the last of Mr Balls. I cannot see him writing and making travelogues while his wife aims for the top job.

There is only one cloud hanging over the otherwise tranquil Antill household this weekend. Regular readers of this site may remember that in my predictions for 2015 in December, I wrote that I thought that after the General Election the Conservatives would certainly be the largest party, and may win an overall majority.  As I went out and about meeting people during the last couple of weeks before polling, and also spoke to other activists,  I became convinced that the polls were being too pessimistic about Conservative prospects.  Accordingly I suggested to Nick that I pop down to the betting office and put a few pounds on a Conservative majority.

Ever prudent,  Nick pointed out that such action would not be a particularly effective hedge against a Labour victory, and so, discouraged, I decided against the bet.

I am really annoyed now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment