Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Friday, May 22, 2015

Refocussing



Yesterday I stood down from my role as Cabinet member for Resource Management at the County Council.

I am sad not to be able to see my financial strategy through by carrying on in the role until the next County Council elections in 2017.  Bridging the budget gap at the council is very challenging, but with patience and hard work Mark Bee’s cabinet were getting to the point where a clear path was evolving. It has to be said however that some of the choices that needed, and still need, to be made are challenging politically.

I did have the opportunity to continue in the finance role under the changed leadership, but know I would have not have been comfortable working with the new team.  I stood for the leadership myself because I have a very different approach to life and politics than some in the ‘other faction’ of the party.

It will be interesting to see how the new regime gets on.  Some among them were always quick to criticise, but strangely unwilling to come up with their own ideas with regards to how to make the necessary cuts without irrevocably damaging the council.

All clouds have a silver lining.  In addition to having just a little more time to myself,  I will be able to concentrate my efforts on what is, after all, the most important part of a councillor’s role, looking after my residents'  interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment