Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Little Waldingfield History Society news (plus a royal encounter).



 
Tudor Pie with tail of a peacock.
In December 35 people went along to Little Waldingfield History Society to listen to a fascinating talk by David Steward about Hampton Court Palace.

As ever I am indebted to Andy Sheppard for a most interesting review, which, as it is quite extensive, I have attached as a separate ‘page’. This can be accessed by clicking on the link marked 'Hampton Court' above.

In the meantime I have displayed above what I assume must be an Elizabethan pie as eaten at Hampton Court!

This post reminds me that many years ago, when I worked in the City,  I was lucky enough to be invited by an investment bank to watch an international real tennis tournament held on the magnificent and authentic real tennis court at Hampton Court palace.  The rules of the game, which are rather complex,  were explained to me by the charming young man sitting next to me.  He seemed vaguely familiar and I assumed he was one of my host's employees.  It was only later on that I realised that it was in fact Prince Edward!   The Prince was exceptionally pleasant and did not seem to mind at all that I had no idea who he was. 

The next LWHS event will be for members only on 20th January (please note a change of date from that originally advertised) at 7.30 in The Parish Room, Little Waldingfield, when the Madgwick family will impart information about their illustrious father Clive, who has left such a legacy of superb and delightful country scenes both as original works of art and as numerous prints. The Committee hope members will trust them for the evening with their precious Madgwicks so that they can create a mini art gallery on the night and really illustrate Clive Madgwick’s depth of talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment