Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Sudbury Town Council

As many now know I will be standing down from Suffolk County Council in May.  It was not an easy decision, but I feel that my time would be better spent supporting organisations closer to home.

As part of this decision I have decided to stand for election to Sudbury Town Council where there is currently a vacancy.  Our home in Newmans Green is actually in the parish of Acton, but it is in fact only 2 miles or less from Sudbury town centre as the crow flies. Nick and I have enjoyed Sudbury's amenities for over 30 years and have seen some changes in the town over the years.  Not all of these have been for the better.

HGV's..worth moaning about!
I intend taking a positive attitude towards Sudbury. I believe that there is far too much mulish pessimism expressed, particularly in the pages of the Suffolk Free Press on a weekly basis.  I very much support the campaign recently announced by the Sudbury Society urging local people to take pride in the town and to do their bit to support it.  It is good to see people pledging support to what is, after all, a very beautiful and unique place.

The election will be on 19th January and we shall see whether I will be successful.  Seats on the town council are hotly contested and there is a slate of 5 candidates of different political persuasions so it is hard to judge.

On my leaflet I have listed my priorities as follows:


  • Focus on Sudbury;  A thriving town centre for everyone, young and old.
  • A buoyant local economy; more skilled jobs in the town
  • Encouraging tourism; supporting Gainsborough’s House and other local attractions
  • A sustainable environment ; protection of our fine buildings and green spaces
  • Working in partnership; support for our local voluntary organisations
I will be happy to talk to anyone who wants to contact me about this, particularly if they live in Sudbury North.

Green spaces, worth protecting.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment