Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Sunday, April 9, 2017

April campaigning



With the County Council elections coming up on May 4th it’s the time of year for getting out and about on the campaign trail.

As all goes quiet at the County council and politicians take to the road, I thought that since I am not standing this time I would have some time off.   However, I have in fact found myself helping out  friends including Mary Evans in Clare, Colin Spence in Sudbury East and Waldingfield, and Adrian Osborne in Sudbury North. County Divisions are really quite large, amounting to around 7000 people or more, so getting round without help, particularly in rural areas is a challenge.

The weather has been lovely, the countryside just bursting into life, and, as a result, being out and about has been very enjoyable.  Four years ago it was still snowing (or so it seems in recollection) and was far less pleasant.   I spent an interesting morning working on behalf of Mary in Wickhambrook, a village that I did not know before, to the South West of Bury St Edmunds.   Many people were out at work, but those I spoke to were encouraging on the whole.  Mary has clearly made a good impression on her residents in the last four years.

On Friday I enjoyed driving around the edges of Acton and Great Waldingfield with Colin Spence.  We have done this run together now at least four times, visiting farms and other far flung habitations that other people don’t seem quite able to get to during the course of the campaign.  Our arrival is usually appreciated but it is important not to get too tied up in conversation or to take large dogs for granted.

The postal votes go out at the end of this week, and it is important to reach those who are signed up before they register their vote.   I will therefore be delivering in a targeted way around my home village of Acton, and also in Lavenham on behalf of Philip Mutton.

Philip is the Conservative Candidate for Cosford, which is the area that I currently represent.   I will be writing some more about him on the blog ahead of the election in three and a half weeks’ time.

No comments:

Post a Comment