Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

First Annual Parish Meeting.


Last night I went to Great Waldingfield’s Annual Meeting, which was held in the School, rather than the village hall due to ongoing repair work. This was my first Annual Meeting as a District Councillor, and I had to give my first annual report!

Unfortunately due to persistent computer glitches, (which, cross-fingers, have now been resolved after lengthy discussions with charming computer people in Madras) I have been unable to access Babergh’s server. This meant that I was not in a position to regale the assembled company with a recitation of Babergh’s achievements over the past year (to help Councillors out on occasions such as this the Officers kindly provide us with a list.)

Instead I gave a more personal view of the year, tailor made for Great Waldingfield. I hope that this was interesting for those present. It is an approach which I think I will continue to adopt in future as far as possible. Most of the topics I talked about have already appeared on the blog. However, when thinking about the report, I was struck by the thought, how unique Waldingfield Ward is, due to the fact that the area is so close to the edge of a town. Still essentially rural, the area suffers disproportionately from the threat of over-development, traffic and other pollution, rubbish and fly-tipping.

This is not exactly an earth shattering conclusion, but nevertheless, as the new Council year starts in April, I should make a new year’s resolution to try to resolve rather than exacerbate these problems!