Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Russian events round Sudbury







I am really disappointed that owing to a prior engagement we won’t be able to go to the Russian concert that is to be held in Great Waldingfield on 4th April (details in the Parish Magazine). Choral singing in Russia is uniformly excellent, in part because no musical instruments are played in Russian Orthodox churches, and therefore everything depends on the choir! I am sure that the event will be a success and I urge you to go along.

Some years ago I did a degree in Russian studies, and despite my feeling of despair about what has happened to the democratic process in Russia, I remain attracted by most things Russian. I don’t have much time or opportunity these days to practise speaking, although I do try to read a little something in Russian every day. I also give the occasional illustrated talk on Russian cultural subjects to support charitable causes. My last outing was to Foxearth WI some weeks ago, where I spoke about St. Petersburg, Peter the Great and the Bronze Horseman (the statue of Peter erected by Catherine the Great in 1782 that can still be seen today). The ‘review’ from the WI in the Free Press last week wasn’t too bad, so I hope I will be invited back again in the future.

Russia is a vast place, and roads and traveling loom large in its culture. At Gainsborough’s House, on the evening of Friday 14th March, I will be giving a talk, illustrated with lots of slides, about Russian Roads. Two of the slides are shown above. I will speak about the adventures of travelers in times past and the work of the Wanderers, a group of socially aware artists at the end of the 19th century. I will also focus on some works that are concerned with the most affecting Russian road of all: the road that leads to exile, or worse, in Siberia.

At the time of writing there are a few tickets left (£8.00 to include a drink), so let me know, or call into Gainsborough’s House, if you want to come along. Every penny of profit will go to the work of the Museum.