Quote of the week

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself'

George Bernard Shaw
If you cannot mould yourself entirely as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wish.html

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Joan of Arc moment.


If I have seemed a little pre-occupied recently it is because I have been embroiled in ‘political struggle’.

Colin, having served with great distinction for some years, recently decided to stand down as leader of the Conservative Group at Babergh. The only person to put himself forward to take over the role was John Hinton (whom residents of Great Waldingfield will no doubt remember from the Piggeries Site Visit.) In the light of this I felt that, if no-one else could be persuaded, then I had no choice but to stand for election myself.

This was a relatively audacious move, given that I have been a councillor for less than a year. However, I have had quite a lot of experience of team-building and leadership in previous lives, and also do understand the basic ideas that underpin a Conservative attitude to the world. (See posts flagged ‘Ideology’). I was gratified by the fact that some of the more thoughtful of my colleagues were prepared to back me, and also received encouragement from elsewhere within the Group. Anyway it seemed worth a go….

In the event I was defeated 12 – 7. I have no regrets about standing although I have been ejected from the prestigious Strategy Committee, and shall now be serving on Overview and Scrutiny instead. You will notice that the picture at the top of this post is of Joan of Arc. I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.

This change will make no difference to my work for people in Waldingfield Ward, which as always remains my Number One priority! Onwards and upwards….